Thursday, April 2, 2009

When We Were Who We Said We'd Be

The light broke through

the space between the door and the wall,

steady florescent yellow, casting half formed shadows

I forgot the color of the walls.

Our backs faced the door, our hair lit up like halos,

their thin arms, frail and delicate

reached through empty space

The taller girl spoke

“Grab the vanity mirror”

the mirror was propped against the smooth, cool wall

reflecting light, it caught my eye

I lifted the vanity, I heard the bronze skinned girl giggle

I smiled. My lips cracked against my teeth.

the small sharp bones in her elbow moved when she reached towards me

she grabed the mirror.

The tall girl, with skin like alabaster, and hair like strands of obsidian,

reached into her apple red purse

the vanity was placed on a blotchy green garbage can

we smiled, their smiles were huge, teeth like

perfect white lines.

We leaned over our reflections,

distorted, dark

when we lifted our heads back up

our eyes were as big as dying stars.

3 comments:

  1. I love how I still don't get anything that's going on in it. But I feel what's going on. I see the color, even though I don't understand what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D well i'm happy you like it despite your confusion.
    Thankies for the comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was powerful.

    You are marvelous.

    Good job, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete